Well, the way the people view or perceive this world is changing day by day. You might have heard by the virtual reality. It is the way you perceive the things in the real world. Yeah, Augmented Reality is the similar technology as that of virtual reality with few modifications. This augmented reality technology had been proven as the very useful one in our day to day life.
The augmented reality technology had been proven technology in many fields such as social media networks to medical procedures. It helps in bringing the elements of the virtual world into the real world by enhancing the things we hear, see and feel. When compared strongly the augmented reality lies between the mixed culture of the real world and virtual world.
What is Augmented Reality?
Augmented reality is nothing but an interactive experience of the objects reside in the real world environment. The objects are augmented by the computer-generated perceptual information, multiple sensors, visual, auditory and olfactory etc. The main difference between the augmented reality and virtual reality is that augmented reality alters the ongoing perception of the real world environment whereas virtual reality completes replaces the user’s real-world environment with a simulated one.
The primary value of the augmented reality is to bring the components of the digital world into the person’s perception of the real world. It is used to enhance the natural environments or situations and offers perceptually enriched experiences. By using the advanced AR technologies the information around the users real world can be manipulated and interactive. The AR techniques are usually performed in real time and in semantic context with environmental elements.
Explanation about the Augmented Reality Future:
To be more simple the word augmented means to add or enhance something to derive a new feature. Here Augmented Reality can be termed as AR where graphics, sounds, actions are added to the natural world to create enhanced user experiences.
For virtual reality, it requires the complete virtual environment to take an action but where in augmented reality the virtual reality lies at the top overlaying the existing real-world natural environment. In augmented reality, both the virtual and real world environment coexists. Here the users of the AR will experience the improved natural world with the assistance of the virtual world in your day to day activities.
Augmented Reality had been widely used and implemented in many applications such as surgical procedures and provides the easily accessible, timely data for the users. You can find it’s immersed usage in cell phone apps and business applications.
Types of Augmented Reality:
In the real world there are several categories which accept augmented reality with differences in their objectives and applications. Below are the few technologies which make up the augmented reality more reliable for next future.
Marker Based Augmented Reality:
The marker-based augmented reality is also the image recognition technique which uses the camera and some other visual marker detectors to produce the result when the marker is sensed by the reader. More typically these applications use the camera to detect the markers on any other real-world objects. In some applications, QR code is also used as the marker to distinguish the objects along the calculation of the position and its orientation.
2. Markerless Augmented Reality:
Markerless Augmented Reality is one of the most implemented applications of AR based on the GPS tracking, location and position. In this application, your device is embedded with the velocity meter, accelerator, compass, GPS etc to provide data based on the location. This application is widely used in smartphones and feature detection systems based on the GPS.
3. Projection-Based Augmented Reality:
Projection-Based Augmented Reality works very more effectively by projecting artificial lights on to the surface of the real world. The projection based AR applications works by sensing the reaction of the light send to the real world surface. It also uses the laser plasma technology to project in 3 Dimensional holograms in mid-air.
4.Superposition Based Augmented Reality:
Superposition Based Augmented Reality replaces the original view of an object with the newly augmented view of the same object. It mainly relies on the object recognition without which replacement is not possible. This is widely used to change the look of your home with distinct virtual furniture. You can select the digital pages of the furniture catalogue and by applying the AR technique you can see the virtual home with the modern furniture.
How does the Augmented Reality Work really?
If you want to understand the augmented reality functionality and how it works first you should be aware of its objectives. You need to bring computer-generated objects into the real world for existence and accessing which the user only can see. Mostly the AR applications use the synthetic and natural light. The augmented reality devices are self-contained and do not require any cable or desktop to function.
Augmented reality can be displayed on multiple displays from screens to monitor, handheld devices or glasses. For example, the Google Glasses and Head up for display(HUD) put the AR functionality directly on to your face. The handheld devices such as smartphones and tablets use small displays which are handheld. These AR devices require less hardware and can be applied as the contact lenses and virtual retina displays too.
Basic components of the Augmented Reality Devices:
- Sensors and Cameras: Sensors are the outside part of the AR devices which gather users real-world interactions and communicate them to be processed and interpreted.
- Projection: We know that Projection based Augmented reality is also a category and it is nothing but the forward or outward facing miniature projection on the wearable Augmented Reality devices. With the projector, one can easily turn any surface into an interactive environment.
- Processing: The AR devices are super minicomputers which are packed into wearable devices. So these devices require computing processing power similar to that of our smartphones.
- Reflection: As the reflection, part mirrors are used in the AR devices to assist with the way your eye sees the virtual images. Some devices have the small curved mirrors and some have the double sided mirrors too.
How the Augmented Reality devices are controlled?
Control AR devices with touchpads and voice commands.
The augmented reality devices are controlled with a simple touchpad or through voice commands itself. You can see the touchpads on the devices which are easily reachable. They work by sensing the pressure changes. With the help of the tiny microphone on the device, it can able to pick up your voice commands to control the device.
Applications of Augmented Reality in real world scenarios:
Augmented Reality had been widely used in many applications such as healthcare. Many companies employ this technology to drive unique business needs. For example, the strong AR in use is the healthcare industry. It helps from routine checkups to surgical procedures it benefits both the patients and healthcare professionals.
- Augmented Reality is widely used in healthcare industry in physical exams and surgical procedures etc.
- It is used in aviation applications a mixture of virtual,augmented and mixed reality. We can notice the virtual reality flight trained and the augmented pilot assistance.
- Used in business applications with a mixed culture of virtual and augmented reality.
- Used in communication applications such as Google Daydream And Facebook with mixed reality mode.
- It is used in construction applications with c=virtual reality plans and construction based augmented work.
- Used the AR and VR combined in the design applications of architecture and interior home designs.
- USed in educational applications i.e virtual reality field trips and interactive educational content.
- Used in entertainment and gaming applications with both VR and AR.
- AR also widely used in the applications of shopping, manufacturing, sports and travel etc.
Yeah the field of augmented reality is continuously growing with many technological improvements, software updates and products. Staying up to date with the growing augmented reality makes your relay on the top of any industry. It is a mixture of virtuality and reality.